Pliny the Younger made his 12th Annual return to Russian River Brewing Company Friday February 5th and will be available to beer fans through February 18th, 2016!
It will be available on draft each day at the Russian River Brewing Company brewpub on Fourth Street in Santa Rosa until run that day’s allocation runs out, which rarely happens.
Younger is neither bottled nor available in growlers so more people will have the opportunity to enjoy it right from the source, or at a handful of select draft accounts. Following is some helpful information from the brewery to make this year’s Younger Release fun and safe for everyone!
Pliny the Younger is considered a “triple” IPA, simply meaning that it is higher in alcohol and has tons of hops. The alcohol should finish at about 10.25%, although it is remarkably dry for the amount of malt used in the recipe. It is loaded with hop flavors, bitterness, and aromatics. The hops used in this year’s recipe are of excellent quality: Simcoe, Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, and Tomahawk. Beer makers brewed Younger for the first time 12 years ago as a winter seasonal, building upon the Pliny the Elder recipe while pushing the envelope with malt, hops, and alcohol just to see how far they could go! It is always brewed only once a year and released the first Friday in February, rain or shine.
Pliny the Younger was the nephew and adopted son of Pliny the Elder. He was a lawyer and an author in Ancient Rome and witnessed the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD, which took the life of his uncle. He lived from 61 AD to 112 AD. He wrote many letters which survive today and have great historical value. Brewers thought it appropriate to also pay tribute to Pliny the Elder’s nephew by naming this special beer after him!
What to expect if you head over to the pub:
In 2015, brewers made some positive changes which reduced wait times and kept the line moving, albeit slowly but hopefully better than years past! There is now a predicted three hour/three Younger maximum to ensure that more guests will actually get in the door. The longest wait last year was eight hours.
Plan on a long wait anyway if you visit on a weekend, especially the first weekend. And if it rains, the brewpub will be forced to close its outdoor patio. The pub’s capacity is 135 people (at least that’s what the sign on the wall says!).
Younger is served in a 10 ounce glass with a maximum of 3 per person. Russian River Brewing Company is bound by law to promote the responsible consumption of alcohol and may not serve anyone who is obviously intoxicated. This beer is only available for on-premise consumption. You can't get it in growler and it's never been bottled. In addition to Pliny the Younger, about 20 other excellent beers will be on tap for your enjoyment, many of which are available in growlers or bottles to go.
Every year the majority of our issues come from the very long line of people waiting to get in to the pub for two solid weeks. In an effort to remain neighborly and responsible business owners in the community, brewers kindly ask you to respect one another and neighbors by complying with the following courtesies and code of conduct:
- Open container laws are alive and well in Santa Rosa. There is no drinking in line.
- The City of Santa Rosa has a No Smoking Ordinance, stating there is no smoking anything within 20 feet of business entrances or where people gather. So no smoking in line.
- Neighboring businesses are often upset with the line blocking their entrances or the parking lot driveways. Please do not camp out in business doorways and be courteous when customers are trying to get by. Please remember downtown Santa Rosa neighbors are putting up with an unrelenting line of people for two solid weeks.
- No cuts. Does that sound like something you heard in grade school? Same rule still applies. Show up with your whole party, then take turns getting coffee, food, haircuts, shopping.
- Please leave your easy-ups, tents and other structures at home. Brewers had many problems with these blowing around, crashing into windows and blocking business entrances last year. Chairs, umbrellas, rain gear, warm clothes, hot coffee and a really good book are strongly encouraged.
- Bottle sharing is not allowed in line or in the pub.
The City of Santa Rosa charges for parking on the street and in most lots from 8AM to 6PM with a two hour maximum. Brewers recommend the parking garages or the 10 hour lot at the corner of 3rd and E Streets. Better yet, just take a cab! Parking is free in the lots on Sundays!
Russian River Brewing Company will begin distributing Pliny the Younger on draft the week of February 8th in and around Sonoma County and the Bay Area and in Southern California that week or the following week. Kegs will be shipped to distributors in San Jose, Sacramento, Oregon, Colorado, and Philadelphia sometime in February, ship dates TBD. It is recommended that accounts tap it as soon as possible after receiving their delivery to preserve the freshness and integrity of the beer. This beer is not meant to age at all. Pliny the Younger is very much the fresh catch of the day and best enjoyed right away!